Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Tiny Tuesday - May Flower

OMG!  I had been dreading this block for a while, but after prepping a bunch of applique and hand piecing, I felt compelled to work through them.  Perhaps if I did this block again I would try applique in order to avoid the teensy little curved seams.  More realistically, I'll be thankful it is done and move along with things!  It is called May Flower and it is Midget Block number 75. 
This one has 33 pieces and was hand-sewn with lots of muttering and squinting. The long background rectangles had to be re-cut to two and seven eights instead of two and one eighth.  I'm not sure if it was a typo or a printing size issue, but it wasn't going together any other way.  It isn't square, or even, or done very well at all, but it is finished, and that is the best kind of  block.  Maybe it will be charming with some nice hand quilting some day. 

7 comments:

Ellen said...

I think your block looks great! I totally get the 'muttering and squinting' - I have definitely been there while working on my blocks too but all is well that ends well - you look so happy showing it off. The fabric you used works perfectly - love it! I will have to make note of the size issues on my pattern for future reference.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

It is a fabulous little midget. With a story to go with it.

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh my...that sounds tortuous!

Judy D in WA said...

Holy Moly! It's fabulous!!! I stand and applaud you. I always look forward to your Tiny Tuesday posts. :)

Teresa in Music City said...

It's beautiful!!! Have you seen some of the blocks in the antique quilts like Dear Jane? They are not perfet at all. I don't think perfect is the objective anyway - having fun and enjoying the process is the goal. Looks to me like you have a "perfectly" wonderful block!

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Great job! I will definitely be doing applique on this one. :)

Lynne said...

Oh my! As we say in Oz, "you are a glutton for punishment, aren't you?"

From a distance the block looks stunning - not a slight on the close up look at your work but one can appreciate how the pieces work together from a distance.