Monday, November 30, 2015

Input Requested


I've had several requests to produce pdf/printable versions of tutorials for blocks.  I totally understand the urge.  Some people have told me that they took all of the patterns and printed copies to keep in a binder.  That would take a lot of paper!  Having a nice, compact recipe seems like a great idea.
So I started playing with some formats, and wanted to get feedback from you, my loyal blog readers, as to what you would like to see in a block pattern.  I am envisioning a one page printable version of the tutorials that I have already made, similar the two practice pages I made and posted for Half Square Triangles and Roman Stripes on my new web page still under construction.
Would you like to see a picture of the finished block at the top?  Do you want separate sections for cutting and sewing?  What about fabric requirements?  Would some nice graphic boxes make things easier, or is a simple chronological set of steps best?  Most of my block tutorials use the easy angle ruler, do you need alternative cutting directions for non easy angle users?  Let me know what is important to you and I will try to work on getting some of the old patterns converted while keeping up with the new patterns as they are produced.  I'm not making an promises as to time frames.  I am after all, not a professional quilter, but a busy working mom who tries to fit quilting into my spare time.
Even so, I feel that I have enjoyed the efforts and ideas of so many other people through the years, and I am at the point in my quilting evolution that I would like to give back to the community.  So tell me what you want, and how you want it to look, and I will do my best to make it happen.  

17 comments:

Jean said...

Angela, This is a great idea and one I would like to see happen. I like the way Bonnie Hunter does her PDF pages. Yes, a pic of completed block or at least layout with part parts labeled, like Quiltmaker magazine does it, would be a big help. I've been wishing for a long time for PDF of your patterns, as I've copied a lot of them manually on 4x6" cards,which is very time consuming.

Angie said...

I am happy you are considering this, but I know how busy you are, so I hope you make it as easy on yourself as possible! For me, a picture (or drawing) of the finished block at the top, along with separate cutting directions or measurements would be great. Many times I'm familiar with the block construction and just need fabric requirements/measurements so my blocks come out the right size. I say keep it simple and maybe make a resource page for those who want alternate directions (non easy angle ruler directions for example). Your faithful readers could probably help with the resource page by sharing helpful Youtube videos or other resources they already have bookmarked or pinned.

Nell's Quilts said...

The two sample pages you have posted are perfect. Great idea.

Delighted Hands said...

PDF's make it so much easier for us-thank you.
I like a pic of the finished block and the way you have organized the samples are perfect. I like simple with visuals and you have done so just right!

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

PDFs are the easiest to share and download. I hope this helps you in your decision.

Ellen said...

Your sample pages look great. I think it would be great to include an easy way to print them.

Sara said...

Great idea. I think most any layout you come up with will be fine as long as the document is easy to print on just a few pages.

STH said...

Would really, really appreciate instructions that don't require the special rulers! Thank you so much!

Grandma said...

Your sample pages are good. I like pictures of all steps. Thanks for thinking of us.

The Joyful Quilter said...

While I didn't do your Sampler Blocks this year, I can see the benefit of having them available in a PDF format. Thank you for your generosity in even considering this alternative on our behalf!

Kat Scribner said...

I've finally enjoyed using my easy angle and companion angle rulers using your tutorials. When I make your sampler blocks, I take the laptop to the sewing room and scroll as i work. I might only suggest simple directions and text and photos really do the work.

Tu-Na Quilts said...

I'd love a pdf of patterns that you've created or will create. I like a finished pic at the top, step by step directions AND pictures, and a font that is at least 11 or 12 so it's readable. It should also have your name, blog name, address, and a picture of yourself. Thanks for asking.

Lesley Gilbert said...

I have a folder just for pdf's. I would be very happy to put yours into it, especially if they are like your 2 sample ones shared above :)

Fauntie said...

Great idea, but don't forget to put all of your website information on the bottom of the pages. You should get credit for good work and people may want to know where they can get other information also. You could also do a watermark diagonally across the pages with your website name on it.

EAnita said...

I would love to see your tutorials in PDF. I don't find it hard to follow a pattern when I seen it visually coming together. A pic of the finished block with other piecing instructions is fine with me. I usually copy your tutorials into Word and reduce the pictures to make them smaller then save the file. This saves a lot of paper. I try to condense it down to 3 pages if possible. Editing takes about an hour or more so you doing the PDF would save time and energy. Thanks for asking the question. Happy Sewing, Anita

Pam Patches said...

It would be great to have your instructions in pdf.
I use Google Chrome so am able to 'print' to pdf, which is very handy where there are no pdf options.
You are a busy lady, so I suggest if you are able to give future patterns in pdf & offer the Google option for past patterns until you are able to work your way through the rest.
This option may not be possible for everyone though. I don't know if it works on a phone, my old phone is very dumb so not able to try this.
Thank you for sharing your passion with us all. Pieceful Stitches, Pam (Downunder)

Raewyn said...

I always appreciate pdfs but understand the time taken to put them together. I often use http://www.printfriendly.com/ so I can have concise directions at my fingertips. A picture of the finished block, sometimes a picture of the units assembled into the block and -of course- cutting instructions are all handy!